The heritage of 90 years
Lanka Canneries Limited is the successor to the Marketing Department, which was established by Mr.R.H.Basset, a British Civil Servant in the 1930’s. During the 2nd World War, many troops were stationed in Sri Lanka, then known as Ceylon. The food shortage due to the war led Marketing Department to supply processed food especially fresh fruit Jam to the troops. After the 2nd World War, the company progressively improved its fruit processing facility at Narahenpita, Colombo by importing machinery from Europe. From the inception all products have been manufactured under stringent quality control and have been sold under the brand name ‘MD’. The range of products grew in variety from jams to sauces, canned fruits, canned vegetables, cordials, pickles and chutneys.